Thursday, April 03, 2025

Evidence of ‘execution-style’ killings of Palestinian aid workers by Israeli forces, doctor says

Guardian:

Evidence of ‘execution-style’ killings of Palestinian aid workers by Israeli forces, doctor says


Forensic consultant says multiple bullets were used from short range in attack that has caused global outrage



Malak A Tantesh in Gaza, Lorenzo Tondo in Jerusalem, and Julian Borger
Thu 3 Apr 2025 03.19 AEDT


A forensic doctor who examined the bodies of some of the 15 paramedics and Palestinian rescue workers shot dead by Israeli forces and buried in a mass grave in southern Gaza has said there is evidence of execution-style killing, based on the “specific and intentional” location of shots at close range.

The Palestinian Red Crescent Society, the Palestinian Civil Defense and UN employees were on a humanitarian mission to collect dead and wounded civilians outside the southern city of Rafah on the morning of 23 March when they were killed and then buried in the sand by a bulldozer alongside their flattened vehicles, according to the UN.

Israel has expanded its aerial and ground attacks in Gaza since ending the ceasefire last month. The prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, said on Wednesday it intends to “divide up” the territory.




The killing of the paramedics and rescue workers has triggered outrage around the world and demands for accountability. On Wednesday, the UK foreign secretary, David Lammy, said Gaza was the deadliest place on Earth for humanitarian workers.

“Recent aid worker deaths are a stark reminder. Those responsible must be held accountable,” Lammy said.

Ahmad Dhaher, a forensic consultant who examined five of the dead at Nasser hospital in Khan Younis after they had been exhumed, said all of them had died from bullet wounds. “All cases had been shot with multiple bullets, except for one, which could not be determined due to the body being mutilated by animals like dogs, leaving it almost as just a skeleton,” Dhaher told the Guardian.

“Preliminary analysis suggests they were executed, not from a distant range, since the locations of the bullet wounds were specific and intentional,” he said. “One observation is that the bullets were aimed at one person’s head, another at their heart, and a third person had been shot with six or seven bullets in the torso.”

He emphasised that there was room for uncertainty due to the decomposition of the remains, and that in other cases he reviewed “most of the bullets targeted the joints, such as the shoulder, elbow, ankle, or wrist”.

Two witnesses to the recovery of the bodies told the Guardian on Tuesday that they had seen bodies the hands and legs of which had been tied, suggesting they had been detained before their deaths. A Red Crescent spokesperson, Nebal Farsakh, said on Wednesday that one of the paramedics “had his hands tied together with his legs to his body”.


Bodies of Palestinian rescue workers recovered from mass grave


Dhaher said there was no clear evidence of restraints on the five bodies he examined. “I could not recognise any tying marks on their hands due to the state of decomposition of the five cases I checked, so I can’t be sure of it,” he said.

The Israel Defense Forces and Benjamin Netanyahu’s government have said IDF soldiers opened fire on the ambulances and rescue vehicles because they were “advancing suspiciously toward IDF troops without headlights or emergency signals”. Government officials claimed to have killed a Hamas military operative they named as Mohammad Amin Ibrahim Shubaki, and “eight other terrorists” from Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad, in the attack on 23 March.

However, Shubaki was not among the bodies recovered from the mass grave outside Rafah on Saturday and Sunday, eight of which were identified as Red Crescent ambulance workers, six as civil defence rescue workers, and one as an employee of the UN relief agency Unrwa. The IDF has not responded to questions about why the dead were buried with their vehicles or to reports that some showed signs of having been tied up.

The sole survivor from the shootings on 23 March, Munther Abed, a Red Crescent volunteer, contradicted the official Israeli account, saying the ambulances had been observing safety protocols when they were attacked.

“During day and at night, it’s the same: external and internal lights are on. Everything tells you it’s an ambulance that belongs to the Palestinian Red Crescent. All the lights were on until we came under direct fire,” Abed told The World at One on BBC Radio 4. He denied that anyone from a militant group was in the ambulance.

Abed, who was in the first ambulance to come under fire in the early morning of 23 March, said he survived because he threw himself to the floor at the back of the vehicle when the shooting started. The two paramedics in the front seats of the ambulance were killed in the hail of Israeli gunfire. Abed was detained and interrogated by Israeli soldiers before being released.

The other 13 victims were all in a five-vehicle convoy dispatched some hours later to recover the bodies of the two dead ambulance workers. All of them were shot dead and buried in the same grave.

A Guardian investigation published in February found that more than 1,000 medical staff had been killed across Gaza from the beginning of the conflict on 7 October 2023 – triggered by a Hamas attack on southern Israel that killed 1,200 Israelis – until the beginning of a temporary ceasefire in January. Many hospitals have been reduced to ruins in attacks that a UN Human Rights Council commission concluded amounted to war crimes.

Since ending the two-month ceasefire last month, Israel has vowed to step up its military campaign against Hamas. On Wednesday the defence minister, Israel Katz, said that campaign was expanding to “seize extensive territory” in the Gaza Strip. Netanyahu said Israel intended to build a new security corridor as it was “dividing up the Strip”.

Hospital officials in the occupied Palestinian territory said Israeli strikes overnight and on Wednesday had killed at least 40 people, nearly a dozen of them children.



***


kt comments:

Frigg the Holocaust - it's now the Hollow-Cause. The so-called Children of the Hollow-Cause have turned into monstrous evil Children of Baal


‘I didn’t like that post’: Singapore minister reports Facebook breach to Meta





Singapore’s Foreign Affairs Minister Vivian Balakrishnan has reported “unauthorised activity” on his Facebook page to Meta. - Social media pic, April 2, 2025


‘I didn’t like that post’: Singapore minister reports Facebook breach to Meta


Foreign minister Vivian Balakrishnan denies engaging with observer Calvin Cheng’s remarks, lodges report with social media giant over unauthorised activity


Scoop Reporters
Updated 9 hours ago
2 April, 2025
5:18 PM MYT


KUALA LUMPUR – Singapore’s Foreign Affairs Minister Vivian Balakrishnan has reported “unauthorised activity” on his Facebook page to Meta, following an incident involving a social media post by former Nominated Member of Parliament and socio-political commentator Calvin Cheng.

On Wednesday, Dr Balakrishnan denied engaging with a Facebook post by Mr Cheng that discussed a pro-Palestinian activist group, Channel News Asia reported.

“I did not ‘like’ the post by Calvin Cheng on March 13, 2025. I do not share those views,” said Dr Balakrishnan. “I have since taken measures to enhance account security.”

Responding to media queries, the minister’s press secretary confirmed that a report had been submitted to Meta regarding the matter. “Meta is investigating,” the press secretary said.

Mr Cheng’s post, dated March 13, referenced a group called Monday of Palestine Solidarity, whose members have been accused of disrupting People’s Action Party (PAP) Meet-the-People Sessions.

“I would like to sponsor them to relocate to Gaza, expenses paid by me. But only if they never come back,” wrote Mr Cheng.

“I am offering business class to the leaders. And to their 928 followers, can buy them some walking shoes each. Take a slow hike.”

Home Affairs and Law Minister K Shanmugam, speaking to reporters on Wednesday regarding cases under the Internal Security Act, was asked about Mr Cheng’s remarks. He emphasised that his stance on Israel and Palestine differed significantly from Mr Cheng’s views.

“Mr Calvin Cheng comments on a variety of matters – I don’t see all of them. Those that I come across: I can say some I agree with, and some I clearly disagree with,” said Mr Shanmugam.

“His views on Palestine and Israel, I can say, are quite different from mine. I have a very sharply different view on Israel-Palestine from Mr Calvin Cheng.”

“I previously said in November 2023 that Israel’s actions are illegal and oppressive to Palestinians, and that remains my view,” he added.

Mr Shanmugam declined to comment further, citing an ongoing police investigation into a report lodged against Mr Cheng over his remarks on Israel and Palestine. Mr Cheng has also initiated legal proceedings against individuals who, he claims, made accusations against him following the post.

In a Facebook post on Wednesday, Mr Cheng stated that former Singapore Democratic Party chairman Jufrie Mahmood had filed a police report, alleging that Mr Cheng is an Islamophobe.

He further mentioned that Reform Party leader Kenneth Jeyaretnam and activist Martyn See had expressed similar sentiments, while The Online Citizen and an individual named Mohamed Khair had republished these views.

Rejecting the allegations, Mr Cheng wrote: “I have sought legal advice from Senior Counsel and have been advised that these statements are highly defamatory of me.

“I have instructed my lawyers to write to Mohamed Khair, Jufrie Mahmood, Martyn See, Kenneth Jeyaretnam, and The Online Citizen, to require them to retract the statements they have made and apologise.” – April 2, 2025


M’sia yet to decide on import of US poultry after 2022 ban, says report

FMT:

 

M’sia yet to decide on

import of US poultry after

2022 ban, says report

-

The 2025 National Trade Estimate Report says the regionalisation arrangement will allow for resumption of trade when any poultry disease outbreak in a region has been brought under control.

4
Shares
Total Views: 415
Free Malaysia Today
Malaysia had banned US poultry products in June 2022 over concerns about an avian flu outbreak. (AFP pic)

PETALING JAYA
Malaysia has not made any decision on a proposed regionalisation arrangement that was mooted after the country banned all live poultry and poultry products from the US, a newly released report reveals.

Malaysia had banned these products in June 2022 over concerns about highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI), according to a report by the US trade representative.

However, in December 2022, the US agriculture animal and plant health inspection service department (Aphis) proposed a regionalisation arrangement, which would limit suspension of poultry trade to those areas affected by HPAI.

The report said this regionalisation arrangement would also allow for resumption of trade when the outbreak in an area was brought under control.

“Aphis subsequently provided additional information about its HPAI control programmes at the request of the Malaysian veterinary services department.

“But to date, Malaysia has not completed internal decision-making to begin discussion on a regionalisation arrangement,” the 2025 National Trade Estimate Report, released on March 31, read.

On a separate matter, the report also highlighted US concerns that Malaysia’s “narrow definition” of what constituted an alcoholic beverage would result in the ban of some American beverages in the country.

According to the report, alcoholic beverages under Malaysia’s Food Regulations 1985 are defined in a way “that did not provide for the sale of new products that do not fit neatly within certain defined product categories”.

As a result, Malaysia prohibits the importation of products that do not meet these defined categories.

“The US is concerned that its malt-based and spirit-based ready-to-drink products are not permitted in Malaysia, even though similar wine-based beverages are allowed.”

However, it said the US continued to engage with Malaysia on its regulations for alcoholic beverage products, including its potentially trade-restricting definitions for alcoholic beverages.

Malaysia’s halal rules more strict than global practices, says US report

FMT:

 

Malaysia’s halal rules

more strict than global

practices, says US report

-

The stringent requirements have led to concerns among US industry players, says the report by the US trade representative.

19
Shares
Total Views: 1,679
Free Malaysia Today
The report by the US trade representative stated that Malaysia requires slaughter plants to maintain dedicated halal production facilities. (File pic)

PETALING JAYA
Malaysia’s halal requirements are more prescriptive than international practices, according to a recently released report by a US agency.

For one, Malaysia requires that all imported meat, besides pork and animal-based products, including dairy products, obtain halal certification from an approved foreign halal certification body as a condition of entry.

Specifically, the report by the US trade representative, stated that Malaysia requires slaughter plants to maintain dedicated halal production facilities.

These plants must also segregate storage and transportation facilities for halal and non-halal products.

In contrast, relevant international practices allow for halal food to be prepared, processed, transported or stored using facilities that have been previously used for non-halal foods, provided that Islamic cleaning procedures have been observed.

“US industry has expressed concerns regarding the cost of creating new, segregated production facilities to access Malaysia’s market,” the 2025 National Trade Estimate Report, released on March 31, read.

The report went on to note that in addition to halal certification requirements, Malaysia requires that all meat, poultry and dairy facilities that export to the country be registered with the department of veterinary services (DVS).

“This process requires submission of an application with extensive supporting documentation for DVS review, which can take several months.”

Following the application review, meat and poultry products were subject to plant-by-plant on-site inspection by DVS and the Islamic development department, it said.

The US trade representative said updating the registration could involve additional delays of “weeks to months”.

US industry reports that the registration system is overly burdensome, creates significant delays and is unnecessary in light of the US’s long history of supplying safe animal products to Malaysia.

“Additionally, facilities that successfully complete the registration process with DVS continue to face challenges as a result of the extensive process.

“Minor differences between export certificate and facility details in the registration system can result in detained shipments that often take several days to weeks to clarify.”

***

kt comments:

Of course - we've a Billion-Ringgit organisation which ensures those conditions